What is neglect and abuse?
If you are aware of or suspect any of the problems below, make a report to local police, sheriff or Human Services. You can make an anonymous report. You are not required to provide proof. Anyone who makes a good faith report based on reasonable grounds is immune from prosecution. If you believe the child is in immediate danger, call law enforcement 9-1-1.
- DHS 541-757-5019
- Albany Police 541-917-7500
- Lebanon Police 541-451-1751
- Sweet Home Police 541-367-5181
- Linn County Sheriff 541-967-3907
Failure to provide adequate food, clothing, shelter, supervision or medical care to the degree a child’s health or safety are endangered.
- Example: Child is left alone with no supervision.
- Child does not want to leave school.
- Child is constantly tired.
- Child has unmet physical, emotional or medical needs.
Abuse, Physical injury
Injury not a result of an accident.
- Examples: Bruises, welts, burns, cuts, broken bones, bites, sprains, poisoning.
- Child’s story does not match the injury.
- Child’s story changes with retelling.
Abuse, Mental injury
A pattern of rejecting, terrorizing, ignoring, isolating.
- Examples: Calling a child mean names, telling they are stupid, worthless or a mistake.
- Children often have sleep or speech disorders, fail to grow normally are aggressive or withdrawn or show abnormal need for emotional support.
Abuse, Sexual and Exploitation
Any sexual contact in which a child is used to sexually stimulate another person.
In the majority of cases, the perpetrator is known and trusted by the child. The abuser establishes a secret, intimate relationship with the child, threatening the child if they tell. Contributing to sexual delinquency of a minor, using children in pornography or prostitution.
Threat of Harm
Any action, statement, written, or non-verbal message which is serious enough to make a child believe they are in danger of being abused.
- Examples: Threatening to cause pain or injury.
- A child witnessing domestic violence.
- Adult sex offender moving in, returning to, or living with or caring for children under 18.